Thursday, November 8, 2007

i'm not a witch! i'm not a witch!

I'm a neo-pagan. Totally different.
Well, at least according to this I'd qualify. I tried to deny it, but after three tries and 100% each time...? With each pass, I did become more compatible with Unitarian Universalists and New Agers, but less with Mahayana Buddhists. Here's the top 5 of the final rundown:
  1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
  2. Unitarian Universalism (99%)
  3. New Age (94%)
  4. Liberal Quakers (90%)
  5. Mahayana Buddhism (78%)
The logic's not nearly as well reasoned as Sir Bedevere's, but worth contemplating nonetheless.

Neo-paganism seems to be a catch-all, and I can jive with that. I looked over the info on it, though, and I don't really relate with much else. I'm not in for ceremony...especially those that take place in circular formations and involve hand holding. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but that's enough for me to self-disqualify.

I think I have Alice Walker to blame for my pagan leanings. I've sampled different faiths, but nothing ever rang more true to me than Shug Avery's explanation of God:
God is inside you and inside everybody else. You come into the world with God. But only them that search for it inside find it. And sometimes it just manifest itself even if you not looking, or don't know what you looking for. Trouble do it for most folks, I think. Sorrow, lord. Feeling like shit.
. . .
It ain't something you can look at apart from anything else, including yourself. I believe God is everything. . . . Everything that is or ever was or ever will be. And when you can feel that, and be happy to feel that, you've found It.
. . .
Everything want to be loved. Us sing and dance, make faces and give flower bouquets, trying to be loved. You ever notice that the trees do everything to git attention we do, except walk?
To quote Celie, "Amen." If I needed a stand-in for the Bible, The Color Purple would be it.

Note the animism vein. Even so. I just don't wish to associate with things magickal. [The "k". Is it really necessary? All it conjures for me is obnoxious spellings like "kwik".]

Now for some levity (e.g. very small rocks):



[Thank you, Hillbilly, Please, for helping me uncover my pagan inclinations.]

2 comments:

jagosaurus said...

My work here is done.

erin said...

Yes, you helped me realize that I belong to the dark side. Would that make you Darth Vadar?