Monday, November 26, 2007

a place to sing

Can't think of a damn thing to say, but Shawn Colvin's "Trouble" is chugging, rumbling, thumping through my brain:
I go to the trouble and I like it
That's where I'll be
Trouble is just like love, if it's half the way
It's all I can see
And it's just what you need
This, in turn, tips me toward Jennifer Nettles' "Drag Me Down". (Yes, I'm a fan.) She, knowingly or not, borrows a line from Shawn Colvin's song, but takes it in a different direction:
No you don't have to drag me down
I am drawn to the bottom end
No you don't have to drag me down
After all I descend
They seem to me to be two perspectives on or possibly two phases in a shitty situation. The first acknowledges the funk, rolls round in it, and takes responsibility for it. The second also takes responsibility, but at the same time is sort of an "I may be going down in flames, but at least I'm trying, and, by the way, fuck off for your part in my demise" kind of reaction. I like to sing along to the latter. Loudly.

Ok, so maybe I did come up with something to say.
And if you've never listened to either of these women, well, snap to it.

No comments: