Monday, November 19, 2007

shuffling my zen

Moi?

I do not own a pod of any variety because the proprietary .m4p is buggin', because they cost more, and because I can't use them listen to ebooks from the library. Yes, I know that sounds crotchety. Love me or leave me.

I own a Creative Zen, so I've shuffled that. Here you go, the first ten at random*:
1. Ride a White Swan (T. Rex)
Lyrics are very odd, but you don't listen to this stuff for insight. Unless you're high. Or a Druid. Or both.

2. Regulate (Warren G feat. Nate Dogg)
Infectious groove and so smoooooth. He is a beautiful, beautiful man. And Nate Dogg? A voice like buttah.

3. Baby's Got Sauce (G. Love & Special Sauce)
I love that he just owns up to being whooped. This one's so so fun to sing along to.
A kiss for some of this / a smile and it's done.

4. Best of What's Around (Dave Matthews Band)
Optimism. I spent some time traveling, tenting, and studying with a group in Belize. Someone posted the lyrics to this in the outhouse near one of our encampments. It did make the experience a little more bearable.

5. Been Caught Stealing (Jane's Addiction)
A song to bounce to. Manic. The video used to crack me up.

6. If It Isn't Love (New Edition)
They were so sweet and talented (if you can manage to not let the present day Bobby Brown taint the image). I have a soft spot for well choreographed singing groups...if they predate the New Kids.

7. Notion (Barbara Kessler)
I plucked this from the CD Women's Work that I found at the library. An ambling song. Why complicate things right now? This is what I can do.
I'll give you an inkling / Spare you a notion / Nothing more. / You get what you pay for.

8. Roll 'Em Pete (Big Joe Turner / Pete Johnson)
Pure, unadulterated boogie.
Well, you're so beautiful, you've got to die someday
Well, you're so beautiful, you've got to die someday
All I want's a little loving, just before you pass away

9. Pleasure Principle (Janet Jackson)
Control was one kick-ass album.

10. Baker Baker (Tori Amos)
Bare bones beautiful.

*Disclaimers:
If I came across two songs from the same album, I skipped the second. [I also skipped a shuffled in chapter on Uranus (no kidding) from The Planets by Dava Sobel. Still haven't finished listening to that!] Songs were glommed from two (the only) music folders I created—one titled "Jenn & Co" (mostly mellow, chick songs) and the other "Up Beat". Odds were in favor of the latter.

All in all, quite a lovely snap shot. This was just the post I needed—a fly on the wall would have seen and heard my research: some mad dance moves and wicked off-key singing. Thank you, Haiku.

+ + + + + + + +
ETA:
If you are so moved to take on this meme, consider this a passing of the torch. Go forth and shuffle, gentle readers. If not, never mind.

No comments: